Tuning into the Unit of Inquiry – “Who We Are”
Grade 4 were thrilled be scientists in white coats at Mr. Tony O’Sullivan’s science lab. They were able to of view their own cheek cells under a microscope as they gained an understanding that cells are the basic building blocks of all living things.
Moving on… We learnt about the incredible Digestive System by watching a live demonstration in class. We used a
- Papaya to represent as the general food we take in each day
- A knife which chopped up the papaya was our representation of all the types of teeth within our oral cavity which chops down the food.
- An umbrella cover played the role of the Food Pipe/Esophagus which transports the food down into our stomach through the process of peristalsis.
- A blender was used to demonstrate the process of churning and grinding that takes place inside the stomach with the help of acids and bile.
- A stocking and sock represented the two intestines
- There were two bowls to represent our stomach and the output which is the end product of the whole process.